background

Jul 14, 2011

The First 12 Hours

Congratulations! You are officially a parent!

Here is a rough outline of how your first 12 hours after you baby is born may go. But before we get started, lets quickly talk about what your baby might look like. For typing/reading purposes, I'll refer to "baby" as a "he."

To start, most babies look like their head is too big for their body and it may be pointy. This is due to the journey through the birth canal - don't freight - it will take a more normal shape pretty quickly (my son's head was full of bruises {poor little thing} and was pointy...see picture below...but it got nice and round within the first day). 

He may also have a head full of hair, or a head with little to no hair. If your baby has a head with little, thin, or no hair, you may see the veins and a pulse on the soft spot. All normal.

Your baby's eyes may be squinty or even bloodshot. His nose may even be flattened; lets face it...your baby might look like it just got out of the losing end of a fight. 

Your baby may have vernix (white stuff) covering his body. The earlier the baby is born, the more vernix you'll see. Babies born late may have wrinkled or peeling skin due to having little vernix left to protect their skin. Also, late babies wont have as much lanugo, the downy prenatal fuzz (usually seen on shoulders, back, forehead, and cheeks - it disappears a few weeks after birth). My Mom tells me that I had no vernix on me - I was 2 weeks "late." My son was born just after his due date and I don't remember any vernix on him...if there was there was so little of it that I didn't notice. He did have peeling skin on his wrists and hands. 

Alright...on to the first 12 hours. 
Just for the sake of keeping things sort of organized...lets say you gave birth at exactly 12 - midnight.

Immediately after birth (in the first 2 hours), as long as everyone is well, you will get to hold your baby. You'll never forget that moment! Either your doctor or your partner will cut the cord (either after a few minutes or after it stops pulsating). It is totally normal for a woman to throw up after birth. You may feel shaky or too exhausted to hold your baby. If you plan to breastfeed, you should put the baby to your breast within the first 2 hours after birth. Skin to skin contact is wonderful for your baby as well. 

Typically at 1, 5, and 10 minutes, your baby is observed and given an Apgar score. 
A total of 7 or higher is normal at 1 minute. 
A total of under 7 means that help is needed. 

Apgar score    
Skin Color                       
2. Pink allover
1. Body pink, extremities blue
0. Pale/Blue all over                                                                                         
                                            
Breathing
2. Regular strong cry
1. Irregular, weak cry
0. Absent

Pulse/HR                         
2. Greater than 100bpm
1. Less than 100bpm
0. Absent                                                   

Movements/Muscle Tone
2. Active
1. Moderate activity
0. Limp

Reflexes after given certain stimuli 
2. Crying or grimacing strongly
1. Moderate reaction or grimace
0. No response

Moving on, he will be wiped down and his extremities will be checked. He'll be weighed and measured and will be given a hearing test (this may not be done until later, or it may be done right away).

During all the things that are happening with your baby you'll need to still deliver the placenta. If you tore or had an episiotomy you'll need to be stitched up.

The next 2 - 3 hours (approx. 2 or 3a.m.) you can begin drinking and eating if you're up for it. Most women are really hungry. I was STARVING. The nurses let my husband use their area to heat me up some soup. If you didn't give birth in the same room you'll be recovering in (something I absolutely LOVED about my hospital...I didn't need to be moved) you'll be moved to a recovery room where you'll stay until you go home.

3 - 4 hours (approx. 3 or 4a.m.) If you didn't have an epidural, you could get up and take a shower if you're up to it. You might be a little wobbly so you may need help - I don't remember exactly when it was that I took a shower, but I just remember how GREAT it felt! Brushing my teeth was so nice, too. Getting my hair washed, my body washed, my face washed, and some comfy clothes on, made everything better. You will still have some belly left for awhile, do don't be surprised if you're a bit shocked after you see yourself for the first time.

5 - 6 hours (approx. 5 or 6a.m.)
Peeing...it might hurt a little. You might even feel resistant about it or not have the urge to go. My hospital gave me a little squirt bottle to fill with warm water - you use it to wash off and ease the sting. I used it frequently and I didn't even tear, so someone that did will probably really need this. If you're not feeling the urge to urinate, up your fluid intake - it could be that you just don't have much for fluids left in you after everything you just went through. If you experience burning after you've urinated or you feel a painful and frequent urge to pee, you may have gotten a urinary tract infection.

Bleeding: You'll be bleeding. A lot. More than you even realize. So you'll need some heavy duty pads. Usually they provide those for you. They may feel like a giant diaper, but you kind of NEED a giant diaper! I remember that I had something inserted into my toilet that measured output. I believe that was because I had hemorrhaged...but I could be wrong. So don't be surprised if you find yourself with one of these.  What you're losing is called "lochia" and this will occur whether you've delivered vaginally or by c-section. It can last 10 days to 6 weeks (or even longer; I hemorrhaged after birth and whether or not that was the cause for my longer bleeding...I bled for 10 weeks!...yes...that's right, 10 freakin weeks!). It will go from being heavy and bright red, to a more yellowish, straw colored discharge. Its also normal to pass clots. If you're soaking more than one pad in an hour, passing clots larger than a lemon, or you have any type of foul odor, you need to call your doctor.

Perenial Pain: as discussed, you may experience a burning sensation when you urinate. You may also notice that you're very swollen. Or you may just be really sore. You can try icing the area, soaking in a warm tub (or a sitz bath), or using chilled pads soaked in witch-hazel (or water) and place them directly on the area. You could also try blowing a warm hair dryer on the area. Make sure to change your pad every few hours to avoid infections and remember to wipe from front to back after you use the bathroom. 

Hemorrhoids: Oh these nasty buggers...if you're one of the "lucky" ones who gets to experience these, try using Tucks pads and sitting on one of those doughnut cushions.

Bowel movements: I'll discuss this now...though you may not feel the need to go right away. I'll just get this out of the way...I was TERRIFIED to poop!!!! I didn't tear or have an episiotomy, so I didn't have any stitches, but I was still so scared! I feared that if I pooped, I would push out my organs (haha!), and while I don't think that's even possible (??) I was still freaked out. While you might be as scared as I was, you'll have to do it and get it over with. Turns out, I had nothing to fear.

7 hours (approx. 7a.m.) You might just finally be settling down with your baby now. Isn't he (or she!) amazing?!

8 hours (approx. 8a.m.) You'll probably feed your baby again at this point (you may have already done so twice by now). If you're breastfeeding you may experience what is called "after pains" while breastfeeding. I actually didn't experience these while in the hospital, but I did experience them after I got home with my son and they were awful! It, to me, felt like labor all over again. Not everyone will have painful after pains. For some they aren't really all that noticeable. They pass and I don't think I had them for more than a few days (and not at every single feeding either). Just remember, these are helping your uterus contract back down to pre-baby size! I took Tylenol for the pain.

9 hours (approx. 9a.m.) Visitors might start arriving today. Don't let people overstay their welcome though. You need some rest!

10 hours (approx. 10a.m.) Newborn check ups may start. His heart and lungs will be listened to, his head will be examined, his hands and feet will be checked and counted, his mouth and palate will be examined, his hips will be rotated and his legs will be bent, and his spine will be checked over to make sure there are no abnormalities. If you've had a boy, his little boy parts will be looked over as well.

11 hours - 12 hours (approx. 11a.m. - noon) You may be wanting some rest at this point. Try to get some shut eye. If you need to let your nurses know that you'd like no visitors (or phone calls) until you're awake, let them know. And if you need them to take your baby to the nursery while you sleep, they can do that too.

No comments:

Post a Comment