background

Jul 2, 2011

Kaitlyne and Alistair's Birth Story

Written by: Kaitlyne Dawn Donnell 
This is Kaitlyne's first child


The arrival of my son, Alistair, was an easy and wonderful thing. 

I got pregnant around early April (maybe late March). For the first 4 months of my pregnancy I had been visiting my sister in San Diego, CA. By 2 1/2 months, my family and my boyfriend now knew and had gotten over the shock, however, everyone else was in the dark. I wanted it to stay that way because I didn't want to deal with the stress, being so far away from home, on my vacation at my sisters house, and I felt that my boyfriends family would have reacted badly at that point. Besides having to find a prenatal pill that would suit me, and having horrible heartburn 24/7, my pregnancy went well. I got back to Minnesota in August and was about 4 1/2 months pregnant. I had a lot to deal with, being a young mother, so I needed help figuring out what paper work I would need to fill out and what baby items I could find for good quality, but a low price. 

When I went to my first doctors appointment, they told me my due date would be January 23rd, give or take 15 days. Soon after this appointment, I had my first ultrasound done and found out I was having a boy! I was so happy; I just couldn't see myself raising a girl as a first child. 

I had gained around 10 - 15 pounds by around October.  I loved hearing his heartbeat at my doctor's appointments and I loved feeling him kick (which started around 24 weeks, for me). 

Christmas was coming up next, which was exciting because it is one of my favorite holidays. 


Christmas Day 2010

While with family on the day of Christmas, it was getting late and I wasn't feeling to well. I had a stomachache all day (what I believe now was early labor). That night while staying at my boyfriend's house, I woke up to real labor at 5am. I had gone to the bathroom where I had noticed the "bloody show" and then went back to bed hoping the pain would go away. I didn't end up getting any sleep and went to the hospital at 7:40am. I knew something was different, but I didn't think I was about to get my best Christmas present ever.

The doctor on call soon came into the room were I was with my boyfriend by my side and started an ultrasound. 
 To his surprise I was in labor and already 10cm dilated and fully effaced. 


Turning to me he said, "You're going to have this baby with in the hour!" (he was wrong it was more like 2). 
Rushing me to a labor and delivery room, I wanted everyone to quiet down. 


I was tired from the lack of sleep and getting up at 5am wasn't what I was used to. At this point it must have been around 8:50. I was still trying to get some sleep even with 5-7 people in the room (including doctors, nurses, and the anesthesiologist...who I didn't end up using), but then, at about 9:00, I felt this pressure and the need to push. They wouldn't let me until 10-15 mins later. Another 10-15 minutes and a few pushes later and my son was born.




9:34 
6lbs 1oz and 19 inches long! 
Alistair Edward was born a month early.


They cleaned him off in the room and then they took him away from me. He was a month early and needed to make sure he was healthy, but I wanted to hold him. 
Meanwhile, a doctor had come to me and said, "Your 'daughter' if fine. 'She's' healthy and a good weight. There's nothing wrong with 'her."
I was thinking "She is a he! I saw him clear as day!" 

During labor I didn't scream, tear, or freak out. My family and nurses were all surprised.


After this everyone left except the doctor and a nurse or two. The doctor asked me if at any point I had been drinking or had done drugs. I hadn't, but my son being a month early he had to ask. Then I was alone with my boyfriend and I wasn't tired in the least, so we started calling everyone and waking them up. My sister and mother and her boyfriend didn't believe me; they though I was joking until I offered to let them talk to the doctor. I still hadn't told any of my friends that I was even pregnant. At 8 months I had only gained 20 pounds and you could hardly tell that I was pregnant, so it came as a bit of a shock to my friends when they found out I had just had a baby.

Gifts and visits crowded my room until I left. I don't think I was ever really alone for more than an hour. I was getting a little sick of all of the people and the talking. I needed rest. During the time I stayed, my nurses were all nice and the food wasn't half bad either. My sister stayed the whole time I was in the hospital and would run and get me a supply of Twizzlers (which I wanted while I was pregnant a lot and still do) and help with her new nephew. When she wasn't at the hospital she was at my house, rearranging the room for me and my son. 

By the 2nd day I felt good enough to get up and take a shower, which felt so good. I also went for a walk with my son around the hospital, but I set the alarms off (haha - oops!). Later that night, they moved me to a smaller room due to about 7 (or more) other women having their babies. 

I didn't breastfeed because my son wouldn't latch on, so I formula fed him. My sister would hold him and feed him when I didn't feel like it. I didn't "click" with him at first; he was my baby and I understood that, but I didn't "love" him yet. 

Leaving the hospital was nice, but I was sad because I wouldn't have the careful eye of the nurses on me, making sure I was doing what was best. I got over it quickly though. My boyfriends mom threw me a baby shower and it was quite nice.

Now, 6 months later, I have my own place with everything me, my boyfriend, and my baby could need and he makes me happy everyday that I wake up. 

I hope you all enjoyed reading my birth story!

No comments:

Post a Comment