background

Feb 8, 2012

Hair Care Continued With Chagrin Valley

It's only been about 3 weeks since I started the no shampoo. I used the CO wash only twice. And on probably 3 occasions where I needed decent hair, I used my sons baby shampoo that he can't use (there is milk protein in it and he can't have dairy...or soy...but that's another issue). 


The shampoo is called Bright Baby Shampoo by a company called Just Hatched and they (quote) don't use any "yucky stuff inside" like sulfates, parabens, or phthalates. 
Ingredients: WATER, GLUCOSIDE, COCO-GLUCOSIDE, COCAMIDOPROPYL, BETINE, GLYCERYL OLEATE, GLYCERIN, FRAGRANCE, ALOE BARBADENSIS LEAF EXTRACT, PUNICA GRANNATUM EXTRACT, HYDROLYZED SOY PROTEIN, HYDROLYZED MILK PROTEIN, AVENA SATIVA (OAT) PROTEIN EXTRACT, PANTHENOL, POTASSIUM SORBATE, GLYCERYL CAPRYLATE, GLYCERYL UNDECYLENATE. 


Ok, so I can't pronounce about 90% of that...so I'm not exactly thrilled that I used it, but I did. I'll probably look all of those ingredients up and see what they really are. But anyways...what I was really waiting for were my new Chagrin Valley products!! Check out the website: Chagrin Valley


I liked the baking soda at first, but I felt like something was drying out my hair and making it greasy at the roots all at the same time. I didn't really know how to adjust and I'm not very patient, so I want instant results with this...and I didn't feel a change. Anyways, today I got my new stuff and I'm so excited! Literally....my hair is still wet and I'm already blogging about it. 


I ordered a bunch of samples (and these samples aren't small!) of soaps and shampoo bars. 
7 soaps, 4 shampoo bars, one shampoo bar for my dog, and one tin of cream deodorant. 
I jumped right in the shower after I got them today. 


The soap on the far left is a Zum Bar soap (Frankincense and Myrrh) that my husband got for Christmas. He's been using it pretty regularly and there's still that much left. It was originally around the size of one of the middle bars (which are the sample size bars of Chagrins...pretty cool, right?). 


So I'll tell you about these bars pictured and then I'll tell you about what the other ones are. I'm including links with all the bars, so just click on the name of the bar to go to the page - find it and read all about what's in it and the benefits! 


The darker bar you see is the Cafe Moreno shampoo bar. I've heard that this one actually darkens your hair after a little bit, so if you're not wanting that, I wouldn't suggest it. My hair is currently red and I wouldn't mind it turning into a more dark brown/red, so I started with this bar. This bar has sort of a licorice smell to it. Its kind of strong, but I like it. It doesn't deter me. The lather was definitely different than your traditional shampoo, its hard to explain. It was more of a soap lather (kind of that soft lather) rather than the shampoo later most are used to. I am still using the ACV rinse (and have been consistently over the last 3 weeks, even after doing the CO wash), so I did a cup of that after the shampoo. 


Ingredients: Saponified oils of clove infused olive, babassu, coconut, castor bean, unrefined shea butter, rice bran, canola (non-GMO); brewed coffee; essential oils of clove, patchouli, ylang ylang, lavender; and rosemary oil extract. 


The second bar you see is the Coffee Spice soap. I thought I'd pair some coffee together today. You do kind of have the "soap" feeling when you're washing, but I feel really soft right now and haven't put on lotion yet. Usually I have to because my house is so dry, but I thought I'd see if I can go without or not. It may change over the next few hours...who knows. 


Ingredients: Saponified oils of olive, organic palm,  virgin shea butter, coconut, unrefined cocoa butter, canola (non GMO), and castor bean;  brewed coffee; essential oils of anise, clove bud, cinnamon, lemon, eucalyptus and rosemary; ground cinnamon; ground cloves; licorice root; organic cornstarch; and rosemary oil extract.


So as you can see, with the coffee products, there are a lot of strong scents going on in these bars. I'm thinking you could probably use either bar for either thing - shampoo or soap. I believe I've heard other people say that they do. 


The next one in the row is the Adzuki Bean complexion bar. My face always feels dry after washing it with anything...probably because I've accidentally taught my face to not make any oil and then make a bunch...so I have combination skin. I used this bar and felt really clean...ya know, that squeaky clean feeling? A few minutes after the shower I started to feel that sort of ...tight, dry feeling. But now I feel soft. I haven't put on any moisturizer yet...I don't know if I will or not. This bar smells sort of flowery to me and it has little scrubbies  (the ground adzuki bean). 



Ingredients: Saponified oils of sunflower, organic palm, unrefined cocoa butter, coconut, olive, canola (non-GMO), and castor bean;water; organic coconut milk; organic adzuki bean powder; French pink clay; essential oils of lavender, ylang ylang and tangerine



As I mentioned above, I ordered the deodorant. I was going to just start making my own, but then I saw this and it was pretty much what I was going to do, but it had some scents in it (oils) that I didn't have access to, so I bought one. I got the Citrus Blossom one. Its made with Virgin Coconut oil, cornstarch, jojoba oil, beeswax, baking soda, and essential oils of bergamot, pink grapefruit, and petitgrain. It is a cream, so you just put it on clean skin with your fingers. I like the smell of this. Its not really strong, but its nice. Because of the grittier ingredients you can kind of feel the baking soda in it when you put it on...but it doesn't cake and flake or anything like that. You can't even see it. I'll let you all know how it works for me. 


Other than these, I bought: 
Two soaps for Gabriel: Castile & Calendula and Goat Milk, Oatmeal, Honey - I'll probably use these as shampoos for him as well. Why not, right?!


One soap for my dog Marley with very bad skin issues: Oats and Honey


I bought the Chocolate Almond soap (this smells AMAZING!), Cornmeal and Honey soap (I'm not sure if I'll use this on Gabriel or not...I think there was a reason I wasn't going to, but I don't remember off hand), and the Dead Sea Spa soap. 


The other shampoos I got were the Ayurvedic Herb shampoo, Honey Beer and Egg shampoo, and the Rosemary Mint shampoo. 

No comments:

Post a Comment